Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Big "C" word





I know without a doubt my life is in God's hands right now.  My life has been a mess for the past year and God has shown me this last month that he has never left my side and he is going to get me through this phase in my life.  

Sunday, June 14: Went for my Sunday run and my chest was hurting where my sports bra lays.  I just thought it was a pain from working out my upper body a couple days before. Later that evening I started feeling around and noticed that it was a lump about the size of a quarter.  I went next door to my neighbor because I knew she was familiar with BC.  There happened to be a radiologist from the hospital at her home.  After visiting with them the radiologist said he would make phone calls on Monday.

Tuesday, June 16: Get a phone call asking if I can come in on Wednesday at 10 AM.  YES I CAN!!!!

Wednesday, June 17: Breast exam.  Dr doesn't seem to worried because lumps don't hurt. Thinks in might be a cyst.  Still wants to do an ultrasound/mammogram/biopsy(if needed).
Appointment is scheduled pending approval of insurance

June 23: appointment canceled because person who reads ultrasound mammogram and does biopsy mother died. Reschedule for July 1.

July 1: appointment at 11:30 have ultrasound which takes about 30 minutes
"Ma'am, have you ever had a mammogram?' 
'Umm, no I'm only 36.'
"Ok go out and wait will see what dr wants to do next."
10 minutes go by I get called back to have a mammogram.  Get finished have to wait again b/c they might want to do a biopsy
10 minutes later I get called back to see my pictures and they tell me they are going to do a biopsy.  There is a mass about 3cm.  I ask if they think it is cancer and he says, "It does NOT look benign.  At this point I start to cry and I'm scared.  I just want my mom by my side.  Today is July 11 and I still have a bit of bruising from the biopsy. They took out four pieces of tissue now I wait 7-10 days for results

July 7: Get a phone call test results are in please come in tomorrow. I say, 'wait, can I just come in today?'  "No ma'am, Dr is very busy today, come to your appointment tomorrow.

July 8: Original Dr and another Dr are in the room. Other Dr does breast exam. Tells me to get dressed and come sit down. 
"I have bad news and good news!! The bad news is it is cancer. The good news is it is in the early stages (stage 2A)."  
He tells me other things but I'm still trying to process what he has just said.  Thank goodness I had someone with me so when I do have questions I can ask.  


As of right now mine is the 3rd one in stage 2A.  

Here is what I do know: I will have a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy the Dr is 85% positive it is not in my lymph nodes.  Will know for sure after surgery.  At this point I will have radiation for sure but chemo will depend on the results of the lymph node biopsy. I have also had blood drawn to test for BRCA gene.  Basically this will tell if I carry the cancer gene. 


July 11: Both my parents have sent me a song that they want me to listen to and I want to share them so I will not forget them.  

Holy Spirit from my dad!!

"Exhale" from my mom!!





8 years ago my best friend was diagnosed with Stage 2B breast cancer and she beat it and has beat other odds in the process.  I know without a doubt I will beat this too.  So thankful I have her by my side even if we are 7,000 miles apart.  


July 13: 11:00 phone call.  I have to be to the hospital by 7:30 AM UAE time/10:30 PM US time.  

July 14: Surgery: Surgery went as the Dr had planned.  He removed the lump and had to remove 2 lymph nodes.  I will know in 2 weeks what the results of the lymph nodes. There was such a peace throughout the entire hospital yesterday and everyone I came in contact with. I definitely know God's presence was in that operating room with me and he had his hands on me and the surgeons and nurses.  I got home around 3 and could not sleep.  I was just glad to be home but I couldn't get comfortable. Rubaya came and kept me company to make sure I was ok.  Nanny took the boys swimming and thanks to her sister I was also taken care of and she made sure I was eating.



New Surgery outfit




Pre-surgery


Off I go to surgery


Who knows what was so funny



Dr. Bashir.  Amazing Dr.

And here I go

I don't even remember this picture being taken


I just wanted some ice chips however I got ice cubes.....

In a Box!!!

I was hot so Risti and Elize put ice on me to cool me off

Huge Ice cube in my mouth

My food I was suppose to eat but did not

Sleeping

Getting a sandwich

3 bites and I was done



Flowers that my housemaid brother brought to me


July 15: I did not sleep to well last night.  I finally went to bed at 1030 after taking a strong pain med they gave me.  Thinking it would help me sleep but I was wide awake at 2 Am.  Decided I would take some Panadol(tylenol but not as good as the USA) and a relaxing pill that helps with insomnia.  About 10 minutes after taking it I felt my body relax and I got about 5.5 hours of sleep.  I seriously think that is the best I have slept in the last 2 weeks.




As I was having trouble sleeping last night this song came across my newsfeed that Kim had posted for me.  Thank you so much Kim. 



July 16: Parents arrive


Throughout this past month I have been thrown a huge curve ball in my life but I know that it is in God's hands. Here is how I know God is in control: From the moment I found the lump there was radiologist that was able to help get me in contact with the Breast Cancer Center (which is 3 minutes from my house), all testing was done in one day, results were back within 6 days, and the surgery will take place a month to the day since I found the spot.  On top of all this my parents will arrive 2 days after surgery.  My dad will stay a short time but my mom has extended her stay to be here for me.  

I can't thank everyone enough for all the prayers.  It was amazing how much I felt the presence of God in the hospital yesterday. 





4 comments:

  1. We have you covered in prayers Jenny!! - Rachel Nolen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am covered from head to toe in prayer! The Cowans will be praying. We love your little family. God is good my friend. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/16/2015

    You are in my prayers. You are one strong young lady and I know that you will not only survive but thrive! Our God is good and in control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, Jenny! Glad your parents are there with you!

    ReplyDelete