Saturday, November 5, 2016

PINKTOBER

October was full of awareness this year.  I felt like there was a bit more awareness this year in the UAE than there was last year.  I remember telling my mom last year how much I wanted to spread awareness over here.  I wanted to share my story with anyone and everyone that would listen.  Being named as a Middle East Ford Warrior in Pink, Model of Courage opened up so many doors for me.

The month started with me speaking at http://pinkitnow.zulekhahospitals.com/ event in Dubai.

















 From there I got emails and messages throughout the next weeks asking for interviews.  I was featured in a VIVA magazine, City Times newspaper, Khaleej Times Newspaper and Gulf News.  Being in the Middle East and it being a Muslim country I tried to be careful how I worded my responses.  The one thing I kept consistent though was how my faith is what got me through cancer.  I shared how much my life had been changed.

In case you aren't on my facebook and are reading all of this I'm going to add the links to as many of the articles that I can.


http://khaleejtimes.com/nation/general/cancer-was-not-a-death-sentence-but-a-life-affirmation





Even an article in all arabic

I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it has been to be able to tell people how I stayed strong and fought so hard.  I hope when I get back to the USA I can continue what I've started here.  I hope that when I leave here one day that I can continue to come back each October and help with awareness.  Only if that is what God's plan is for me.  

So all of the above was with Warriors in Pink campaign.  I also have two friends here in Al Ain that I share my journey with. Back in June when we had a desert photo shoot.  We all 3 supported each other so much that we wanted to remember what we went through together.  I was diagnosed then Corenna got in contact with me after her diagnosis in Sept/Oct. Then Tiffany joined us in December.  Because I was so open about breast cancer many people knew me and told both of them to get in contact with me. I guess you could say I was paying it forward because Lisa helped me so much I felt the need to help others maybe.  I really don't know I just seriously think this was all part of God's plan. 




Anyways the 3 of us were featured in The Source magazine that is here in Al Ain.  The article was written in English and in Arabic.  So it not only reached the Expat community but also the local community.

English side

Arabic Side

The boys and I along with Tiffany and her family and Corenna, participated in the ADCB Pink Run in Abu Dhabi.  I was asked to speak after the race.  


WE are SUPERGIRLS!!




Corenna and I also attended the NYUAD High Tea for Breast Cancer Awareness


There was also a pink caravan event in Dubai that the boys and I went to.  We ended up making it a beach day b/c the event didn't actually start until 4 pm and we arrived there around noon.



I also got to share my testimony at church.  I had my whole testimony written out and right before I walked up to the stage I knew everything I had written wasn't supposed to be what I say.  I heard the voice of God tell me to just talk about how my life had been changed and how He worked in my life.




These two people mean so much to me.  Colette and Jude are from South Africa. Colette is the leader of my small group that I am in.  They led worship on the Friday that I gave my testimony.
My boys love them so much and they love my boys just as much.




Since my diagnoses I have wanted to finish the tattoo on my foot.  So Chris told me of a place to go to get it finished.  I already had the ribbon and KDC inside the ribbon in honor of Kim.  Now that I have had breast cancer I needed to add to it to make it personal for me.  

I also wanted to get something to remember how hard I fought.  I chose the gloves because of being a Warrior in Pink.  I wanted survivor instead of fight like a girl because yes I fought but I AM A SURVIVOR.




Couldn't leave without getting this on my wrist.  If you have followed my journey you know that this is the verse I live by.

After my tattoo. Elizabeth and Natasha met Jessica and I at Dubai Mall so we could see the Burj Khalifa lit up pink.  


 These 3 ladies have been a big support for me.  All 3 of them knew what was going on with me before I even really told anyone.  Then when treatment started Elizabeth started a mealtrain and I had food brought for two weeks after chemo.  Jessica helped with my children to just let them play with her children so I could rest.  Natasha was always checking on me.  So when they wanted to see the Burj in pink with me how could I say no.
 Me, Elizabeth, Jessica, Natasha


 Corenna, Tiffany and I went to Tawam to speak to doctors and nurses and patients.  Ended up only being mainly the Dr. (our surgeon) and the nurses from the breast center.  It was so nice to be able to share our experience from the hospital with the people that we started with.


Pink Day at school.  In KG1 we wear the color we are learning that week on Thursday.  It just happened to be the last Thursday of the month so everyone was dressed in pink.  Little did I know they were going to recognize me and honor me.  I love my friends at school. 


Flowers from teachers

Flowers from a student

One of the malls here had a Pink Walkathon.  The boys and I went and we ran into Colette and Jude and Jude's work.  They were there walking.  Of course Cole wanted them and not me.  






So many people walking


My boys still supporting me

Mommy and her boys

Then month came to an end and I can honestly say I feel like the awareness is getting out there.  I had one more event to attend on Nov. 4th.  I needed an haircut so I asked her if she could put a ribbon in my hair.  I have to say I was very impressed with it. 



ADCB Pink Polo at Ghantoot Polo Club

My boys still wearing their shirts. We have come full circle so I've told them that this could be the last event they have to wear them.  H's is almost to small and CMan's has a small hole in it.  So it's time to retire them.

Petting zoo.  Yes Tiffany is holding a snake.  I chose the rabbit and Corenna a guinea.

I thought he was going to drop it.


Tiffany, Me, Camel, Corenna and Sandy. Sandy is a 11 year survivor.  She has joined the 3 of us in spreading awareness over here.  



Balloon release

CMan just having some fun watching the polo match

Loving the winning tropheys

Cman 'driving' a Maserati 

My boy.

We are hoping to get a cancer support group started here in Al Ain.  We will have our first meeting tomorrow night.  So if you are reading this and in Al Ain and know anyone who might be interested please get them in contact with me.  

















No comments:

Post a Comment