One of my good friends is Muslim and from the UK so she is away from all her family and friends for Eid. She asked us girls to go with her to get henna tattoos on our hands. It's a big deal to look good and get fancied up for Eid. It is like our Christmas only different. I have to say I was a little skeptical about it b/c I've never had henna. I have to say though I absolutely love it. It's fun and looks nice when we are dressed up.
Tops my hands are with the blue shirt
Bottoms
Chris and I took the boys to the park one day. It was a bit to hot so we didn't stay long but it was fun while it lasted.
C trying to be like big brother
Momma and her boys
So the 15th was Eid Mubarak Day and we helped my Muslim friend Rubaya celebrate. She sent us a message after dinner stating how we are all family and she loved that we helped her celebrate and made her not miss her real family as much. I'm so happy that I have made the friends I've made. This would have been a difficult adventure without them. We all are in this together and chose to stick with each other throughout.
Chris and I at dinner
L-R: Me, Canadian friend, Sandra, Muslim UK friend, Rubaya, US friends, from Pennsylvania, Zach and Sarah and Chris.
Tonight we are all going on a Desert Safari Camping trip. We are taking H but leaving C with nanny b/c I really don't know what to expect and I think it will be rough on him at bedtime. I'm sure we will go again and we will take him at that time. More blogging tomorrow after we get home from camping.
Eid Al-Adha is often known as Greater Eid. It’s an important religious festival for Muslims when they commemorate the willingness of Abraham to obey God and sacrifice his son, before God intervened to provide him with a sheep to sacrifice instead.
Eid Al-Adha is characterised as days of remembrance, eating and celebration. The festival begins with a Sunnah prayer followed by a sermon.
This is a time when Muslims dress up in their finest, pray together, visit one another, give Eidi (gifts) to children and provide food and sometimes money to the less fortunate. Often non-Muslim friends, neighbours and colleagues are invited to join the festivities and to better understand Islam and the Muslim culture.
You can get into the Eid spirit by wishing people ‘Eid Mubarak’ and join in the many celebrations which are open to residents and visitors alike.
No comments:
Post a Comment